Makeup brushes are what we use to contour, highlight, and apply other cosmetics to our faces. But what about the brushes you use to apply your makeup? When it comes to cleaning makeup brushes and sponges, most people don’t do it enough or at all. However, this is a serious issue. Using dirty cosmetic brushes can result in everything from acne to E. coli infections, so they should be avoided at all costs. You must clean your makeup brushes on a regular basis in order to keep them in good working order. So how to clean makeup brushes?
Simple household items can be used to clean all types of makeup brushes. Brushes can be restored to their original state with just a few simple steps. All of your questions about how to properly clean your makeup brushes will be answered right here.
Why should you clean your makeup brushes?
Brushes used for applying cosmetics collect more than just sebum and dead skin cells; they also collect pollution, dust, germs, and other microbes. If you do not clean your makeup brushes on a regular basis, they can cause a variety of skin problems, from acne to E. coli infections.
Furthermore, clean brushes help apply makeup more smoothly, so cleaning your brushes is critical.
Brushes used for liquid eye makeup should be cleaned after each use in order to prevent the growth of bacteria in moist environments.
How often to clean makeup brushes?
While cleaning a brush after each use is recommended, it can be a hassle for some people. According to the minimal cleaning time for different types of cosmetic brushes, as a result:
- Once or twice a week is usually sufficient for cleaning powder cosmetic brushes, such as blushes and bronzers.
- Cleaning liquid foundation, concealer, and eyeshadow brushes on a regular basis are essential to preventing the spread of bacteria that could cause eye infections.
- Cleaning liquid makeup brushes and eye brushes after each use is necessary to prevent the growth of germs in moist conditions.
- After each use, make sure to wash your makeup sponges.
What do you need to clean makeup brushes?
Makeup brushes can be cleaned with a variety of household items. Makeup brushes can be cleaned with anything from a toothbrush to a hairdryer. The following is the list of items:
- To thoroughly clean your makeup tools, you can use soap or shampoo. A simple lather of soap or shampoo is all that is needed to remove all the dirt and makeup.
- Makeup brushes can be cleaned with baby shampoo, which is a common practice. Brushes made of natural fibers can be cleaned with gentle formulas.
- In order to thoroughly clean eye and liquid makeup brushes, you should use a brush cleanser.
- There is, of course, the option of hand-washing each brush with liquid soap. However, thanks to the brush-washing mat’s slots, all bristles can be cleaned.
- The mesh covers of brush heads should be replaced with new ones. Brush fraying is prevented with these coverings while still allowing for adequate drying ventilation.
How to clean makeup brushes?
It all begins here. To clean your makeup brushes, you must follow this step-by-step guide:
1) Make the brush bristles wet
The hairs of the brush should be dampened with lukewarm water. To prevent water from dissolving the glue in the ferrule, wet your brushes upside down before using them.
2) Take Shampoo or Soap
It is recommended to use a dime-sized amount of the cleanser in your palm or on a plate or brush-washing mat.
3) Rub the brush gently against the cleanser
Soak the brush’s bristles in the cleaner by rubbing it between your palms or on a washing mat. Gently massage the brush head into the soap for about 15 seconds to loosen any product residue.
4) Rinse the brush
Rinse the brush after it has been sudsy with soap and product. Do not touch your brush handle while performing steps 1 and 2 again if the water continues to be cloudy.
5) Squeeze out any excess water
The bristles can be dried with a clean cloth and any remaining moisture sucked out by pressing on them.
6) Let it dry
You can leave your brushes to air dry overnight on a paper towel in their original shape. In order to avoid mildew, avoid drying brushes on their sides, which allows moisture to seep in.
7) Store properly
To prevent contamination, only use dry, clean brushes when applying your makeup.
With their bristles up, they can be stored on a drying rack or in a beauty bag, but only if the bag is clean and dry as well.
How to clean natural bristles brushes?
An animal-based brush is more delicate and fragile than a synthetic-bristled brush. Consequently, you’ll need to be more careful when cleaning natural brushes.
The natural bristle brushes can be softened and detangled by using a small amount of conditioner on them. As a result, you are free to use any brand of hair conditioner.
How to keep makeup brushes fresh in between washes?
Use disposable wipes to clean your brushes quickly, as these wipes are only meant to be used once. Finally, make sure to wash your makeup brushes after each use. When you don’t have time to wash brushes, this is a great alternative.
How much time does it take to clean makeup brushes?
There are makeup wipes that can be used to quickly remove eye and liquid makeup residue. Using soap and water, you can have all of your brushes sparkling clean in under a minute. It can take up to an hour for air-drying brushes.
When to replace the makeup brushes?
If you clean your brushes frequently, they may last longer, but they will eventually have to be replaced.
High-quality brushes can last a long time with proper care. Synthetic bristles, on the other hand, are more resistant to wear and tear than natural hair brushes, so natural hair brushes are likely to last less time.
Whatever brush you use, it doesn’t matter. When the bristles fall out or the brush’s size and softness diminish, it’s time to buy a new one.
Every season, you should swap out your sponge for a new one because the average sponge lifespan is three months.
How to clean makeup brushes with vinegar?
If you’re looking for a natural way to clean your makeup brushes, vinegar is a great option. The smell of vinegar will disappear as soon as the brushes are dry, so you won’t have to worry about it.
As you can see, here are the necessary steps:
1) Make soap and vinegar solution
Take a sip of warm or hot water. Then add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to the mixture. At this point, half a teaspoon of dish soap can be added. This will ensure that the solution is thoroughly incorporated.
2) Swirl brushes in the solution
Brushes should be dipped in the liquid and swished around until they are thoroughly saturated. Remove it from the sink and thoroughly rinse it in cool water once you’re sure it’s clean.
Make a point of washing and rinsing each brush independently.
3) Let them dry
Any water left on the brushes can be wiped away with a clean paper towel. After that, lay the brushes out on a piece of paper towel to dry. Let them air dry for at least one night.
How to clean makeup brushes with dish soap?
Dish soap can be a lifesaver for cleaning silicone- and oil-covered sponges and brushes.
Dish soap can be used to clean makeup brushes in the following ways:
- Fill a small container halfway with water and dish soap.
- Before you use the brush, make a quick dip of the tip into the solution.
- Re-soak the brushes in the solution to remove product buildup and grime.
- Wipe down your brush with a clean microfiber or paper towel to remove any remaining residue.
- Allow your brushes to dry naturally by laying them out on a flat surface.
Your makeup brushes can be used again.
How to clean makeup brushes naturally?
Makeup brushes can be cleaned with a variety of household items. When it comes to keeping your makeup brush clean, you don’t need to purchase any special products.
Coconut oil, liquid dish soap, and hand soap can be used to clean your brush. Here’s the breakdown:
- To make dish soap: Combine one tablespoon of unrefined coconut oil, one tablespoon of liquid dish soap, and one tablespoon of liquid hand soap.
- When swirling each brush in the paste, make sure that each bristle is completely covered.
- You should be able to see the dirt dissolve in front of your eyes if you squeeze under a hot running faucet.
- Each brush should be cleaned in the same manner. To clean cosmetic sponges or blenders, you can also use this method.
- Using a paper towel or cloth, dry the brushes.
How to clean makeup brushes DIY?
You can clean your makeup brushes at home using these two simple methods:
In addition to cleaning a variety of household items, baking soda can also be used to clean cosmetic brushes. Using baking soda to clean brushes is as follows:
- Pour warm water halfway into a cup and add the brush bristles.
- After you’ve added a teaspoon of baking soda, give it five minutes to settle.
- Rinse and dry your brushes thoroughly once they are clean.
Makeup brushes can be cleaned with oils such as tea tree, coconut, and olive. You do it like this:
- A few drops of these oils can be applied to your brushes in various ways, including soaking them in warm water and then swirling them around in your palm.
- Soak your brush in soap and water for a few minutes to remove any dirt that may have accumulated on it.
How to clean makeup brushes with pad?
Brush hairs should be gently cleaned using a silicone cleansing pad with raised bumps or ridges for gentle cleaning.
Clean your brushes with a sudsy brush cleaner and spin them around to get the best results.
It is possible to rinse your brush and re-use the pad if you are not satisfied with its cleanliness.
How to clean makeup brushes with shampoo?
Any type of shampoo can be used to clean makeup brushes, including baby shampoo. To get started, simply follow these instructions:
- Remove any traces of makeup from your brushes by rinsing them in warm water.
- Using shampoo sprayed into a warm basin of water, gently swirl your brush tip.
- Instead of swirling the brush around in your hands, you can use your fingers to create a lather.
- Rinse the brush tip again under running water. To ensure that the brush is completely dry, repeat steps 2 and 3 as necessary.
- To reshape your brush’s bristles, use a cloth to clean them.
- Dry your brushes by placing them on a linen towel.
The bottom line
Cleaning your makeup brushes should always be a top priority, regardless of the method you choose. You’ll benefit from this in two ways: first, your makeup will apply more smoothly, and second, you’ll avoid getting acne or E.Coli.
We sincerely hope you enjoyed and learned something from reading this article. Please feel free to share your ideas and opinions in the space provided.
Thanks for reading!